SUV vs Crossover Comparison
Crossovers and SUVs are two of the most popular types of vehicles available today. Although some people use these two terms interchangeably, there are several essential differences between them. Keep reading to discover what those differences are, and then decide which vehicle is more appropriate for you and your family.
What Is an SUV?
The abbreviation SUV is short for sports utility vehicle, and its main goal is to suit multiple purposes. This means SUVs are as quick and agile as a sedan, have the towing capacity of a light pickup truck, and are capable of going off-road. Also, their ample interior space makes them ideal for people with large families and a viable alternative to minivans. They come in different sizes, and some of them even have three rows of seats.
What Is a Crossover?
A crossover, sometimes called a crossover SUV, is a mix between a typical SUV and a traditional car. They’re probably the ideal combination between the two, as crossovers are more agile and fuel-efficient than SUVs and more spacious than regular passenger cars. Crossovers tend to be the ideal choice for people who drive on narrow and crowded city roads but who also enjoy going on road trips with friends and family.
What Is the Main Difference Between SUVs and Crossovers?
The main difference between the two is their architecture. SUVs are built in a similar way to pickup trucks, as their body, engine, and all other components are placed on a metal frame called the chassis. This structure makes them sturdier and more appropriate for off-roading and towing. Crossovers, on the other hand, have a unibody architecture, meaning that their chassis and body are a single structure. This makes them more agile than SUVs but reduces their off-roading and towing capabilities.
What Are Some Advantages of SUVs?
Some of the perks of owning an SUV over other vehicle types are:
- They’re very spacious: Many people buy SUVs because they enjoy the space and comfort they offer. Some SUVs can seat up to nine people and also have plenty of cargo space available.
- They’re safe: An SUV’s size and frame make it safer than most other vehicle types in the event of a collision. Additionally, modern SUVs also have multiple driver aids that help the driver avoid collisions.
- They’re versatile: In the past, if you wanted to take off-road trips or tow heavy trailers and boats, you’d need a second vehicle aside from your everyday one. Now, you can drive an SUV to work and back every day and go on wild off-road adventures on weekends.
- They’re strong: An SUV’s sturdy frame helps it endure extreme weather and road conditions with minimal damage. This can be a significant advantage for people living in areas with cold weather or bad roads.
What Are Some Advantages of Crossovers?
Crossover vehicles have their own set of advantages, such as:
- They’re more spacious than a sedan or hatchback: While not as spacious as SUVs, crossovers provide more interior space than types of other vehicles.
- They’re quick and agile: Despite the extra space, crossovers are usually as agile as sedans. They’re also much easier to maneuver than large SUVs, making them a more viable alternative for people who don’t need all the space that an SUV can provide.
- They’re fuel efficient: Crossovers are lighter and more aerodynamic than SUVs, meaning that they’re superior when it comes to fuel efficiency. Their typical MPG figures are similar to sedans.
- They usually provide a smooth ride: Crossovers manage to cancel out most road imperfections, as they’re built on car platforms designed for a smooth ride.
Nissan’s Excellent SUV and Crossover Lineup
If you’re looking for a versatile vehicle, there are several Nissan SUV or crossover models that may be just what you need.
If you want a spacious SUV to fit all your friends and family, look no further than the Nissan Armada. It can seat up to eight people, and its truck-like structure makes it suitable for other tasks as well. Its sturdy frame and powerful 5.6-liter 400-horsepower V-8 engine result in a tow rating of 8,500 pounds, meaning you can tow almost any trailer or boat on your trips. It also has great acceleration and can go from zero to 60 mph in only 6.7 seconds, which is impressive for a vehicle this large.
The Nissan Pathfinder is a great alternative if you want a three-row SUV but don’t need all the space and towing capability that Armada can give you. Its 3.5-liter 284-horsepower V-6 engine is still highly capable but requires less fuel. It’s also surprisingly quiet and comfortable for such an imposing vehicle.
The Murano sits right at the edge between a crossover and an SUV. Its ride height helps it go over rough terrains with relative ease, just like an SUV. On the other hand, its car-like architecture makes it easier to maneuver. It’s also exceptionally comfortable and has a similar engine to that of the Pathfinder, despite being significantly lighter.
The Rogue is an excellent example of a stylish and capable crossover. Its comfort and agility levels make every drive a pleasant one, from a quick trip around town to a long road journey. It’s also packed with useful safety and infotainment technology, even in its base trim.
This small crossover is designed to work well in urban settings but can still do a great job as a road trip companion. It’s small enough to be easy to maneuver and fun to drive but large enough to provide plenty of space for everyone inside. It also has an excellent 33 mpg combined fuel economy rating.
Check Out John Sinclair Nissan’s Vehicle Lineup
If you live in or near Cape Girardeau, Missouri, and you’re looking for a stylish and dependable SUV or crossover, you should check out what we have on offer. We have a variety of new Nissans models for sale as well as quality used vehicles from Nissan and other brands. Contact us today or stop by at your convenience, and we’ll help you find your ideal vehicle.